When going through a divorce, you and your spouse are most likely not on good terms. In addition to the issues you had in your marriage, you’ll now face new problems in divorce. Each of you wants to protect your own rights regarding your property, money, and children. So, it’s not unusual for things to get ugly during a divorce. The spouse you once knew may become nothing to the angry ex you deal with in divorce. So, how do you stand your ground, and also keep yourself safe? 

Angry Ex: Standing Your Ground 

They May Become Cruel

In the time after your separation, you can expect that your spouse may feel hostile. If you were the one to leave the marriage, they’re probably experiencing a sense of rejection as well. All of these emotions can fuel an angry spouse and lead them to become cruel.

In that case, they might speak harshly and use hateful language. Also, you can expect them to begin criticizing you and your decision. Don’t expect an angry ex to hold back in this regard– they may target your parenting or money management…

They May Try to Manipulate You

When dealing with an angry ex, you can assume they will try to manipulate you. Most likely, they are upset with the ways things are going and the outcome of the marriage. They may not like the feeling of losing control or power in your relationship, so they’ll turn to manipulation.

In that case, you can expect them to use the things you two share to get to you. For instance, they might try to use the kids or your property to punish you. 

How To Respond

Dealing with an angry ex during a divorce can be difficult. It’s already a stressful time and adding anger and cruelty to the mix just makes things worse. In some cases, this type of mistreatment can even become abusive. For this reason, it’s best to minimize contact with your ex. Deal with your spouse on a need-to basis.

Of course, things may come up that you need to discuss. But try to avoid communicating outside of what you absolutely have to do. If there are things you need to discuss, it may be best to go through your attorney and allow them to mediate.